Maintaining H-1B Status

It is the responsibility of the H-1B employee to be familiar with the immigration requirements relating to H-1B status. Below are a few guidelines to help you maintain your status. Please IFSS at if you have a question.

  • Passport Validity. Keep your passport valid for six months beyond the duration of your H-1B status (see the I-797A approval notice).
  • Address Notification.  Report an address change within 10 days of moving. 1) File Form AR-11 with USCIS. 2) Email with your full name, date of birth, new address info, and telephone number, if applicable.
  • Status Expiration. Please make note of the H-1B status expiration date as indicated on your I-94 record or admission stamp in your passport. Some are given 10 additional days beyond the I-797A approval notice by USCIS or CBP. This “grace period” is not automatic and is entirely at the discretion of USCIS or CBP officers. You cannot work during this 10-day period. If H-1B status is shortened on your I-94 record due to an expiring passport, your status will end on the date marked on the I-94 record. It may be different from the end date listed in the H-1B approval notice. Email if you notice an error or data inconsistency with your I-94 record.
  • Employment. Do not accept any employment other than from UC Santa Cruz, referenced in the approved H-1B petition.
  • Extension of H-1B. Initiate H-1B extension process as early as six months prior to the current H-1B expiration date. Notify IFSS if you are planning to travel outside the country during the extension process. 
  • Changes to Employment. Ask the hiring department to notify IFSS in advance of any material changes to your employment, including department, job title, duties, hours, salary, work location, and/or leaving your employment early. IFSS will review the situation to determine if filing an amended petition is necessary.
Last modified: Jan 25, 2024